Banner

Banner

Monday, December 30, 2013

Re: Happy New Year!

Email received December 30, 2013

Dear family,

I am super happy that Christmas passed super well and it sounds like you guys had a very fun time. Actually the day after Christmas went really well. A lot of people were in their houses and we taught a lot and worked super hard. Elder Mortensen has taught me a lot. He has really taught me how to be more relaxed about the work and remember that numbers are really people and not just something to report to the zone leaders to show off or something. We’ve got to remember our purpose in each house. Sorry if i took up a lot of your guy´s time. I was able to do all that i needed to do that day and i felt very happy all day long. Elder Santiago is very impressed with your Spanish and Hermana Gutierezz thought your accent was perfect. He really enjoyed talking to you all. He is such a good missionary. I am so impressed with him. It’s weird and kinda hard for me to think he will be gone soon. Me and him went on an intercambio last Tuesday and we talked for a long time. He told me he is having such mixed feelings right now because he really is excited to go home and start his life but he says he has loved his mission more than anything in the world. And he also gave me some advice. He told me that throughout the mission i will pass through plenty of moments of Gethsemane. But never let those moments get you down. You have to just roll with them and put all your trust in the lords plan and brighter days will come. The most important thing is to fear no man. Never let your basic fears or anxieties get in the way of preaching the word. You never know who needs to talk to you on a particular day. So open your mouth and be friends with everybody. Its weird to me now looking back to just one year ago- i don't think i was very personable. I was always a little intimidated talking to new people. Well now im serving people who will be your best friend for just spending two minutes asking them how they are. they really are such a special and dear people to me. I love them so much. I love this work so much. It’s such a special time to be a part of this work as well. I came out at the right time for me i know it. I’m right where i am supposed to be and like i told you at Christmas, I’m really home. Now new years will pass pretty crazy i assume. We will probably have to be in the house early that day. But my plans right now are to go teach our part member family and hit them super hard with the word of wisdom, they have already committed to live it again but i want to be sure they understand why especially for that night. The 14 year old daughter told me she really likes her beer but i testified that this is a commandment from god and he will give her the strength to follow it. I know he will. I know she can. I have the faith she will. Its not a bad thing to have hope and faith. Even though a lot of the times you will be let down a little bit. The investigators a lot of times for whatever reason don’t come to church but the lord really does know what he is doing. I’m only here to follow his plan. It’s all we can do and i still hold faith that miracles will happen and the people will feel the need to come. They are very laid back and the more i think about it, the more i start to realize I’m pretty laid back too. And if i can get myself to church every week i have faith that they can too. I love you guys,

Elder Spencer W. Hulsey